Saturday, May 16, 2009

OAP's

This weekend and next week I am helping out at the UIL One Act Play contest. It's the biggest theatre competition in the nation or something. It involves high school's performing one act play's and competing against other high schools. It's a Texas thing. No other states compete.

They hold the state championships in Austin, Tx. And here I am.

Yesterday I was just doing my thing: ushering people to their seats and taking tickets and passing out programs. Minding my own business. And then, all of the sudden, I feel a little tap on my shoulder. I turn around and am shocked and amazed by who is standing there, with a big grin.

My high school theatre teacher.

Let me tell you a little about him..

He was the best teacher ever. He is the reason why I am going to school to be a high school theatre teacher. He inspired me to give it my all and work with what I have. In high school, he balanced being your friend but also the teacher and the authority so well. All of his students knew they could go to him for advice, homework help, boys problems, anything. We had a blast in his class and he gave me a chance to break out from the shy little girl that I had always been.

So, when I turn around and see his standing there, I just can't believe it. I haven't seen him or talked to him since my junior year of high school, when he left us to teach somewhere else. He gave me a huge hug and said he was so glad to see me. I can't hardly sputter out any words. He asks what I'm doing here and I say that I'm just helping out, ushering and whatnot. Right then, the lights dimmer, indicating that a show is about to start. He says it was great to see me and walks back to his seat.

I wanted to tell him that he is the reason I am at UT, studying theatre education, to be a high school theatre teacher and inspire kids like he inspired me. I wanted to see his eyes light up. I wanted to hear him tell me how proud he is of me. Like he used to, back in high school.

But instead I just waved good-bye.

I spent the rest of the night thinking about high school and everything I experienced.

His current students are at the State Championships here in Austin. They perform today in a couple of hours and when I'm watching them perform, I won't help but feel a.) jealous, because when he was MY theatre teacher, we never made it to State Championships b.) hopeful, because I want them to win, so that he will be happy and c.) thrilled, because one day, I know I will be here at State Championships with my group of high school students.

One day.

2 comments:

  1. I remember him! I'm so glad you got to see him again but I wish you had had the chance to tell him what an impact he had in your life. I know that would have made his day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, send him a note. He'll love it, it will be just as meaningful, and you can get the words exactly right--that's important because he will keep and re-read it while words spoken aloud may fade from memory. It'll be great! I love you.

    ReplyDelete